uMake .umk file viewing app

While creating models in uMake, I had the idea to show my friends what I was working on.

I looked at the current range of free iOS apps but they all fell short.

For example:
“Exocad 3d viewer”

• In uMake you need to export the file in an STL format
  • This creates a huge file size (one file I tried ended up as 240mb)
  • this is obviously too big to send via iOS
  • So I used the iOS WinZip app and zipped the file down to 40mb
  • Luckily Exocad can import zipped stl files. However it is very slow.
  • However the file is in just one colour and isn’t as smooth as before, due to objects being made up of little triangles.

So I was wondering if it was possible to make a special version of uMake that just lets people view models created in uMake? Just something to view the model at different angles.

The problem with the current uMake app, is that it is subscription only and can’t see an option for free read only use.

Thanks

Kiwi

Hi @Kiwi,

Thank you.

First, we’re working on different solutions to allow you sending your creations to other people with ease.

In the meantime, you can send your friends the file as .UMK and then can open it in uMake (they don’t have to subscribe to view the file). I would say this is the easiest and fastest solution for right now.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Evi

Hi Evi,

Thanks for this. I’ve passed instructions onto my friends, will keep you posted on how it goes.

Kiwi

Hi Evi,

Works better than expected! It’s a pity that it leaves the curves on by default (have to explain how to turn them off so they can see the 3D design more clearly).

Kiwi

You can select the sphere’s curve, assign it to another layer and hide that layer.

Thanks,
Evi

1 Like