Tutorials troubles for beginners

Hi, I’m a beginner and I’m struggling to get through the tutorials. It seems that the product changed since they were made.
I’m trying to get through the 1-day course (hot kettle).

One issue is that when one draws a shape, according to the tutorials the surface should be filled, but it’s not.
Another, more anoying is that curves seem not to connect together when overlapping. So for example in the beginning of the tutorial one is meant to draw a rectangle and a circle, and than delete the inner lines, however the sections where the shapes overap don’t form the points, so I’m not able to delete the inner lines as I’m supposed to according to the tutorial. I’m also not able to create (force) additional points on the cross section, so that the lines could be disconnected an and bits deleted.
Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Thx

Hi @alesspetic,

I am also new with uMake but believe have gone through quite extensive course with the tutorial.
To your issue, can I check if you are using the Education version (one-time payment) or the premium one (subscription)? It is true that uMake has been developed many version since the first tutorial, so yes, I also have similar troubles at first.
If you have the subscribed version, the auto surface can be turn on/off from the setting. Tap the upper right button, choose the gear icon then tap the auto-surfacing. This is not available on the Education version.
On the overlap issue, you might want to ensure that you are creating the curves at the same planar (XY or YZ or XZ).
And for the ‘add/split’ button, I found this as a bug, but on the latest v.2.5.3, it should be very minimum or disappear. For this, I suggest you sync your project (only if you subscribe) and re-install the app again.

Hope this help.

Regards,

1 Like

Thx! This is very helpful. I’m using educational version! I was not aware that there are other differences except of the number of project limitation! This is quite disappointing especially if that means that educational version has additional bugs that are not in subscription version.
I can get around auto-surfacing, that less off a problem. But if add/split bug is not resolved, Indo not know if I can go on with uMake, simce there are somethings which I cannot do without this.

Ales

Hi @alesspetic,

I found that uMake team actually very helpful and responsive on this. You might want to email them directly for your concern.

On the Educational version, I believe it actually a stable and working version. But if you see in the App Store, they are last updating it several months ago. So the only issue is that you might not be able to follow the tutorial step by step as some of the features might not there yet (including the add/split button).
In principal, you can still use the tutorial, but with bit of exploring on how to do it with educational version.

Regards,

1 Like