Quality of geometry and normals on export

Ive noticed odd and problematic geometry when importing into other applications, i need to constantly recalculate the normals. Is is there a way to address this inside of umake?

Same with 3d text. Normals messed up there too when exporting

Hi @PolySlyme,

I guess the problems that you are seeing in other applications are missing surfaces or bad lighting on surfaces. Is that correct?

If it is, the reason for this is that in order to facilitate the modeling process uMake treat all surfaces as double sided, other applications might treat the surfaces as a single sided and if they use back face culling all of the triangles that are considered to point away from the viewing point will be culled out. In order to see all part of your model in these applications you can toggle on the Double Geometry switch in the export menu, this will export twice each one of the surfaces, one for each side and then you will be able to see the missing surfaces. However doing that might have its’ cons depends on what you are trying to achieve in the other application.

In the near future we are planning to add the possibility to control the normals direction during the modeling process for those who wants to.

I hope that helps.
Yaniv