Extruded cut on ellipse

Hi I’m newbie in umake. Could you please advise how to make an extruded cut on the ellipse shape. size is 70mm w x 88mm L x 26mm into 70 x 88 x 13mm.

Firstly I used revole to create the ball in 88mm diameter , then I adjust the wdith and height to 70 and 26 presnetatively.

But i can’t make the sketch on the curve surface it says “unable to create sketch on non flat surface”

Can you help to provide a method?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Remyyan,

Thank you for reaching out!

At the moment that won’t be possible, BUT, happy to say that we’re already working on it and you’ll be able to cut 3D surfaces (very) soon (you’ll be able to sketch curves and closed curves on the surface using the ‘Precise’ and ‘Pen’ tool and then to erase those surfaces to create holes/cuts).

Hope that answers your question.

Evi

Evi, this is great news. As a sculptor using design software for the first time attempting to cut a hole in a non-flat surface was one of the first things I attempted.

1 Like

Hi Evi,

It will also be a great feature if we are able to do Boolean with 3D shapes. :slight_smile:

Regards,

1 Like

In the works :slight_smile:

Did this ever get implemented?

Hi @joemanzari - yes, that was implemented a few months ago. You’re able to draw a closed shape on a 3D surface, then select that closed area and create a cutout of it on the 3D surface. It’s a bit different then a Boolean “Substruct” command, as this only erase the closed shaped on the 3D surface and doesn’t cut through the whole volume of that 3D surfaces object.

I hope it makes sense.

Thanks,
eVI

Evi,
Could you provide a little more detail on how to “cut out” the closed shape on a 3D object? I created a 3D ball shape, and then created a closed rectangle on the surface, grouped the rectangle’s curves, and used the delete function. It erased the rectangle, but did not cut the ball’s surface area away. What am I missing?
Doug

Hi @DAGlover.

Hope all is well.

I noticed a bug in our current App Store version that creates a double-surface that makes the closed area not to be part of the main 3D surface. We will look into this to address the issue as fast as we can.

Thank you for your patience.

Evi

@DAGlover,

Apologies for the long delay. Did you create the sphere from a closed circle with a 360 degrees revolution angle? If that’s the case, what happens is that there are 2 surfaces on top of each other.

I recommend sketching an arc > revolve it with 360 degrees > sketch over this surface.

With an arc, oppose to a closed circle, only on surface is created, which you can sketch on and create a hole.

Here’s a quick video:

https://forums.umake.xyz/uploads/default/original/1X/7227572b4905645fac266a1cc7bb3e02a156bfc9.mp4

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Evi