Box within a box at a specific location

Hi, I’m researching the use of uMake to create furniture designs.

In my first design, I need to create a board with a tenon in one of the sides that’s in a specific location. I created a 2’ 3/4" x 5 1/2" board and was able to create a 1/2" x 5" tenon just fine.

But, how would I locate the tenon exactly 10 3/8" from the bottom of the board? With SketchUp, I can use the ruler or measure tool to mark a line exactly 10 3/8" from the bottom, a line 5" up from that and 1/8" in from both sides. This would create guides to easily draw the box for the tenon.

Hi @kevinmitts,

Welcome! Thank your the question, while I"m not sure I was right about the dimensions of the parts (converted all to inches), I tried re-creating the scenario you described:

1. I created the shapes separately
  2. I grouped each (so they won’t intersect and will divide each other, similar to how SketchUp works)
  3. Then I selected the tenon and changed it to the bottom-center corner (tap once on the picot point, drag it to the location and tap on “done”).
  4. Drag the shape to the center bottom of the board - notice that when you drag a shape and hover it on an existing line for a second, it will reveal that line control points for more accuracy).
  5. Now you can move it upwards 10 3/8" from the bottom edge.

Do the same for other corners.

While uMake doesn’t the guidelines you’re used to having in SketchUp, you can simply draw lines as a guideline on a new layer, lock that layer and lower down its opacity and use them as guidlines.

Here’s the video:

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Evi

That resolved the issue. Thanks!

1 Like